Monday, July 11, 2011

Thursday's Thought from Sarah-

The topic of how to fill the extra hours with kids home during the summer seems to keep coming up. I know all of you good moms want to make sure that this time is productive and fun for them. What I want you to keep in mind is that in the normal day to day you might build some of your best memories. Watch for opportunities for fun breaks!
I have been trying to think back at my age (I'll admit this much...I'm a Grandma for those of you that don't know me) about the things that leave the best memories after the years have flown by. It was, however, time with my 8 month old grandson that reminded me of something very important. We were all together for the 4th of July out at Fort Stewart. We were trying to honor our military families with some chicken sandwiches that "Grillzilla" was producing by the hundreds as well as some other picnic food and cool drinks on that hot day. Did I mention it was almost 100 degrees (ok, only 99) but hot for a picnic!?!
I figured the best job for me was to be on "baby watch" so everyone else could get the food served. Staying cool was the goal, so we tried riding, walking, and holding...but after awhile little J Harrison did not want to be held by anymore hot people. Then I saw it...the perfect toy...a cardboard box. After I verified that it had only been used for bread, I figured it was clean enough for my grandson. He played in that box with a cold bottle of water for over an hour. Uncle G had to come by and make some reinforcements and upgrades with duct tape so he could stand up and show off (and reach for his cheerios) in his chariot. He thought he was the king of the day and rewarded us with tons of cute giggles...and we haven't laughed like that for a long time.
I was reminded that it is often the simple things and sometime to just hanging out together that builds good memories. After all handing out cheerios and tickling tummies are the best jobs I know.
Share your thoughts by clicking on "comments"

5 comments:

Tina said...

I think it is great to create the best things for them to play with and that are free. FUnny how the littlest things makes them happy!

Kyndall Joyner said...

Totally agree with you on the simple things! My kids are older know, so my favotie time is hanging around a dinner table and sharing a meal! Our family loves to eat!

Perri Baxter said...

I am with Kyndall. Now that my children are all going 3 different directions, sometimes the quality times are around the table for a meal. I love hearing them talk about their day and hearing the maturity with which they are handling experiences that are old hat for me.

Anonymous said...

So true...because the simple things happens at the spur of the moment and are hardly ever planned so like you said when those times come just enjoy it. I have two teens and one ten year old and to get them in one is like pulling teeth (lol) therefore we designate family time and we all enjoy those moments.

Unknown said...

I have definitely learned that the best memories cannot be forced. The more pressure you put on fun and enjoyment to happen the less fun and enjoyment you will experience. With a one year old sometimes the best fun is just to watch her learn and experience things around her...